RICHARD A. SHAPACK, ESQ.
Richard Shapack is “Of Counsel” to the firm and is a Board Certified by the Florida Bar since 1983 in Tax Law. He is a principal and the founding member of Shapack Law Group, PLC in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan. His practice is concentrated on business law, real estate and estate planning, with emphasis on tax and business planning. He counsels individuals and business entities on matters involving real estate transactions, investments and development, business structure and estate planning; with special focus on tax effects and implications. Richard is rated as an AV attorney by Martindale Hubbell. After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, he spent 11 years on active duty in the U.S Navy serving on board nuclear submarines and at the Navy Strategic Systems Project Office.
B.S. - Engineering, United States Naval Academy; Annapolis, MD (1964)
Harvard University Graduate School of Business, Boston, MA (1971)
Juris Doctorate - Catholic University Columbus School of Law, Washington, D.C. (1976).
State of Michigan Bar: (1976)
State of Florida Bar: (1977)
Mr. Shapack has achieved the following professional accomplishments:
- Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Top Real Estate Lawyer—Michigan Super Lawyers (2006– present)
- Top Lawyers in Michigan—New York Times and Crain’s Business Detroit
Mr. Shapack has served as a director on numerous corporate boards, including two exchange listed companies. For over thirty-five years he has been actively involved in the acquisition, development, ownership and management of numerous real estate ventures in Michigan and Florida.
Professional associations and activities:
Mr. Shapack is or has been a member of the following professional associations:
- American, Michigan and Florida Bar Associations
- Member of Florida Bar Tax Certification Exam Committee (2011—2017)
- Board Member, Harvard Business School Alumni Association (2001-2004)
- Co-Chair, Colorado Bar Association Law Education Institute – Business Planning
- Past Chair, Colorado Bar Association Law Education Institute – Tax Law
- Past Chair of the ABA Real Estate Section, Federal Taxation of Real Estate Committee
- Member of the ABA Tax Section, Real Estate and Partnership Committees
- Past Co-Chair of ABA Tax Section Subcommittee on Limited Liability Companies
- Past Chair of ABA Tax Section Subcommittee on Real Estate Leasing
- Past Vice Chair of ABA Tax Section Closely Held Business Committee
- Member, BNA Real Estate Reporter
- Speaker at numerous ABA Real Property Section and Tax Section meetings: Michigan Bar meetings, Michigan Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Tax Management Advisory Board, the BNA Law Education Institute National Law Conference and NYU Real Estate Institute.
- Author of numerous articles including those in the Michigan Real Estate Property Journal and the BNA Tax Management Memorandum.
Civic and community organizations and activities:
Mr. Shapack’s involvement in civic and community organizations and activities include the following:
Southeastern Michigan Not-for-Profit Leadership Collaborative – Founder and Chair
Birmingham Rotary Club—General Counsel, Past President and Treasurer
Harvard Business School Club of Michigan - Past President
Metropolitan Detroit Council of Navy League – Past President
Lighthouse of Oakland County - Past Chair of Board of Trustees
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience